Protecting You During Trying Times

What to do after a hit-and-run

On Behalf of | Aug 24, 2022 | Car Accidents

Texas law says that anyone involved in a motor vehicle accident must stop and render assistance. However, it’s possible that the other driver in your case will fail to do so. Fortunately, the actions that you take after a crash don’t change much regardless of what anyone else does.

Call for assistance

The first thing that you should do is call for police assistance. You may also ask for fire rescue, an ambulance or other forms of assistance when you call 911. When an officer does arrive at the scene, be sure to provide as much information about the other vehicle as possible. If you have video footage of the crash, it may also help authorities locate the other party who contributed to the wreck.

File a claim with your insurance provider

Typically, you will file a claim against the comprehensive portion of your auto policy in a hit-and-run case. If the other driver is located, your insurance company may take action to seek reimbursement for damages caused in a car crash. In the event that you don’t have comprehensive coverage, it may be possible to obtain compensation by filing a lawsuit against the other driver. You may also be able to pursue a payout by making a claim against your underinsured or uninsured motorist policy.

If you are hurt in an accident caused by a driver who leaves the scene, you may still be entitled to compensation. However, the process of obtaining it may be more complicated until the defendant can be found. As with any other accident case, your ability to obtain a favorable outcome in your matter will depend largely on the strength of the evidence presented during settlement talks or at trial.